Monday, March 11, 2013

Faith.

Today, our sweet little 4 1/2 year old asked Jesus to forgive all of his sins and be Lord of his life.  "God smash all my sins.  Lord I give my life to you."
It was totally out of the blue as I was walking in and out of the boys room putting laundry away.  Miles and Evan were playing Legos together.  Each time I walked in the room he had another question for me about heaven and how he wants to be on the path that leads to God.  I decided to take a little break from the laundry (good call).  He told me that he wants to go to heaven because he loves God.  He told me that he loves God because he made him and he sent Jesus to die on the cross.  While we were discussing the meaning of life and death, forgiveness and salvation we were sitting on the floor of his bedroom among piles of Legos.  Using a Lego to visually show Evan his sin.  I asked him what happens when he asks the Lord for forgiveness.  I covered the Lego with my hand.  The Lego was completely covered by my hand.  You could not tell there was anything under it.  Evan explained that Jesus covers all of his sins and that all that can be seen now is Jesus.  The sin was gone.  I made sure to let him know that God knows his heart and we can put all of our trust in Him because he loves us.  I told him that God has a purpose for his life and as he believes and trusts God, the Holy Spirit will help him to make right choices and be a blessing to others.  Evan recited Proverbs 3:5-6 and seems to comprehend the meaning of trusting in the Lord with all of his heart.  He especially likes the part about how He will make you path straight.  He holds his arms up high in the air and says he want to be on the path that leads to everlasting life (one arm) and not the path (his other arm) that leads to destruction.

Evan asked what he needed to do to tell God he believes.  Evan was ready to talk to God.  He even asked if he might hear God talk back to him.  I told him all he needed to do was to pray and tell Jesus everything.  He asked for my help in praying.  We held hands and he repeated much of what I said.  I kept my eyes on Evan to see his face.  His eyes were clinched shut and his words were articulate and clear.  My eyes welled up with the tears as he spoke.  It is the greatest joy to see my child call upon the Lord.  I can't express it in words.  As I said "Lord forgive my sins ..."  Evan said "Lord smash all my sins".  In hindsight, I can clearly recall how the Lord has been working in Evan's heart over the last few weeks.  He has been talking about God and His abilities to put a person on the right path and the smashing of sin, as he calls it.  His faith is his own and I am so thankful for the work the Lord has done.  It is hard to trust that God can reveal Himself to a 4 year old, as I didn't know what salvation was until I was 16 and Kyle was 18.  I think Kyle and I both have a hard time trusting and believing that God can save the hearts of all men, not matter the age, even our little 4 year old.

When Evan was through praying.  I wrapped him in my arms and sat him on my lap and prayed for him.  I asked to Lord to give him conviction and direction for all of his life. I asked the Lord to always remind Evan of the truth and to never ever doubt the work that the Holy Spirit has done in his heart.

I woke up to a normal Monday and planned to go to work today.  God had other plans today ... like revealing himself to Evan and saving his soul!!  

I praise you Lord for this day that you have made.  No one can comprehend your goodness.    

No comments:

Post a Comment